FUAM Photobook Workshop #8
6 Days Photobook Workshop
24-29 April 2018
Finding Your Own Way of Storytelling
Photo book is a tangible object which enable photographers to do storytelling with various elements not only photos and texts but also paper, format, binding, weight and smell. Every single tiny details of a book has meanings and stimulate readers’ five senses that help them to go deep into the story. Therefore, a person who makes the photo book has to know all reasons of the choices. A process to make a dummy photo book brings enormous awareness to you to understand what you do in your photography and how to create the physical book.
Through this intensive 6 days workshop, you will understand the way to find your own story and concept, the way to bring your ideas into the book format, the way to make a handmade dummy book. This handmade process enable you to challenge various book designs without any restriction and expand the possibility to tell your story.
As a photographer, Obara has been making more than 60 handmade dummy books from research stage to closing stage during his own documentary projects to find a right way of storytelling. Those processes have been helping him to create unique multiple layered photo books. Obara will share this ideas and lead the workshop with his huge passion to make your dummy books.
Day 1 Kick Off / Lecture and Discussion: Finding your own concept and the way of your storytelling
Day 2 Editing/Storytelling: Sequence and rhythm, making narratives
Day 3 Design : Brush up the sequence. Format and layout (Adobe Indesign)
Day 4 Design : Book Cover, Paper, Typography, Title (Adobe Indesign)
Day 5 Production : Printing, cutting , sticking
Day 6 Production/Closing : Binding, Cover. Presentation of your first dummy book and discuss all dummies
Kazuma Obara (Japan, 1985) is a photographer and handmade photo bookmaker. He studied MA documentary Photography in London College of Communication. In his projects, Obara sets the focus on hidden victims of society. He have been publishing 7 titles as his handmade photo book and 3 titles from publishing house. His first book «Reset Beyond Fukushima» by Lars Müller Publishers, Switzerland, 2012 were depicted the tragedy of nuclear disaster and Tsunami in Japan. In 2014, his engagement with the victims of the Second World War in Japan led to the handmade photo book «Silent History», which was shortlisted for the Paris Photo / Aperture Photobook Award in 2014. The book was selected by TIME, Lens Culture, and by Telegraph as Best Photo Book 2014. New edition of this book was published by Editorial RM(Spain/Mexico) in an edition of 1900 copies.
In 2015, his project ‘Exposure’ was selected for World Press Photo 2016 People category 1st prize and won Magnum Graduation Award. His handmade photo book was published as artist edition and trade edition were published by Editorial RM in 2017.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS:
By submitting your application to the workshop you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the workshop. Please read the terms and conditions carefully before submitting your application.
1. There’s no age limit to apply to the workshop.
2. All international photobook lovers can apply.
3. Participants are expected to take part in all workshop schedule within the workshop program which is between 24-29 April 2018 at FUAM center in Istanbul Turkey. If you are not able to attend all program, other participants will be selected.
4. 10 participants will be chosen to the workshop, 5 from foreign countries and 5 from Turkish Republic citizens.
5. The workshop will be held in English.
6. Applications sent after the deadline which is 30. 03. 2018 will not be considered.
7. FUAM will announce the chosen participants and get in touch directly no later than 03. 04. 2018.
8. There’s no need to know indesign, there will be an operator to help you at FUAM. Also its not necessary to bring your own laptop, there are enough computers with all the software you needed (in english) for you to work in the FUAM Computer Lab.
9. In the last two days of the workshop there will be a book binder to teach and help you to make the sewing, binding and the cover of the dummies.
10. The applicants who’re being chosen to the workshop have to transfer the workshop fee in 3 working days to finalize their registration.
11. Applicants who doesn't transfer the workshop fee in time or doesn't get in touch with FUAM shall be considered as not attending.
12. Selected and registered participants should bring small size prints of their projects as well as other related materials such as texts, sketches, special paper/leather/material etc.
13. The works of the participants should be ready in high resolution digital format and high quality for book printing. Participants who are working with film material should bring the scanned and the retouched files when they’re chosen to participate to the workshop.
14. The participants are expected to produce two dummy books in the end of the workshop. FUAM will keep one copy of the final dummy and the participants will take the other copy of the dummy. Printing costs to produce 2 dummy books are included within the tuition fee.
15. Selected participant’s will be considered as the applicants to the 3. Edition of Istanbul Photobook Festival Dummy Book Award which will be held in 04-06 May 2018 without paying the application fee and the finished dummies will be exhibited in the FUAM Dummy Books Exhibition during the Istanbul Photobook Festival.
16. The participants give right to FUAM for sharing their works for non commercial publicity purposes, always giving reference to artist’s name.
17. The photographs submitted for the application could be used in social media and on website of FUAM and Istanbul Photobook Festival.
18. Workshop fees: 400 € for Foreign applicants. 600 TL for Turkish citizens and 500 TL for Turkish students.
19. As the festival starts just some days after the workshop, we advice all foreign participants to stay a little more in Istanbul, not to miss the festival. Festival organisation can help you to find free accomodation for our participants after the workshops.
To apply to the workshop please fill in the online application form below and later send your application folder via wetransfer to firstname.lastname@example.org, for any inquiries you can contact to FUAM with the e-mail: email@example.com
You can apply with more than one project.
Please make sure that your application folder consist of your name, E-mail, Phone number, Short Bio and Background (Please provide information on your education and background, your experience related to photography etc.) and a short text On Your Project (Please provide some information on your project, the idea behind it, how long are you working on it etc. )
Photographs: Please upload 20-80 photos of your project (72pdi, high jpeg, max1024px on the longest side, size: max 500kb)